Tuesday 25 May 2010

PAIN ONGOING

The hospital thought that "my baby" would only need pain killers for one week.
Mum has seen an European website for Cleft babies in which some parents write about their baby crying for 3 weeks or more.

The last 48 hours (over the post operative week), he has shown signs of being in pain and quite unsettled, crying and waving his arms about in distress.

Although he is feeding more, my view is that he is in distress and needs help through the pain.
After all, he has a huge amount of work done to his hard palate, let alone his lip.

Last week I had excruciating tooth ache and root canal work and still have a residue of pain; so it is not surprising that my poor little boy must be feeling it so much worse. He really is a Brave Little Soldier and loved so much.

So, he is back on Ibuprofen at 8 hour intervals (3x per day) and Paracetamol at 6 hour intervals (4x per day).

Now, if you Google Phenergan (which I used to give to my children when necessary) you get loads of advice now as why not to use it. But as it was provided specifically for the baby by Great Ormond Street Hospital, I feel no reason why he should not have it.
However never use Phenergan without it being prescribed, as it has had some adverse reactions.

Lets hope that being back on pain killers helps his discomfort. I see no reason why he should suffer, and that isn't in silence!

No comments:

Post a Comment