Tuesday 18 May 2010

CLEFT PALATE

I have been looking after a baby with a cleft palate and hair lip for the last 3 months and he had his 1st operation (on his lip) last Saturday and I go back to look after him again tonight.

Baby's mum has said she would like me to include information in this Blog, without giving away confidentiality's of course.
Hopefully, this might give support to parents who have a cleft baby too.

The first thing to say is, it needn't be that hard. Yes it is a shock and as a parent, you will wonder why this has happened to your baby. But truth is, they are not really sure; but there will be teams of people to get you through and a genealogist who will look into the 'why' for you.

I never saw my little boy as any different than any other baby I have looked after, apart from the fact that I needed to use a special bottle which I squeezed as he drank.
He would intake more air than usual (as he couldn't make a vacuum in his mouth as he drank), so he needed to be well burped several times during a feed; but then, as I always wind well anyway, so there was really no difference apart from squeezing the bottle.

I can't wait to see him again this evening, he is a joyous little chap with a huge smile (although that might be a little hard at the moment) and a pleasure to look after.

More about this when I have seen him tonight and the aftercare involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment