Tuesday 12 January 2010

INTRODUCING SOLIDS

Although only doing this for a couple of weeks, I am amazed at the following on here, Twitter and Facebook.

One site following me and I their's, talks today about starting solids and when, so I posted a piece there and have copied it here as well, to help on the subject.

There is no precise age to start solids. It all depends on the size and development of your child.
I usually say at about 7 months, but it might be before or after, you usually know.

Try using the established amount of milk in the food and use baby rice for breakfast to start with.

e.g. Use the milk from the breakfast bottle in the rice and they can drink the rest.
Then you will know that they are getting that amount of milk at least, plus the rice.

You may find you'd like to start solids at tea time instead.
If so, do the same and then when that is going well, introduce puried tasty veg or fruit.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Diane,

    Thanks for commenting on my post. I couldn't agree more with your sentiments about starting solids - it's nice to read about a common sense approach, especially when it comes to working out how much rice to use.

    Regards,
    - Stewart (http://www.babyfoodgrinder.org)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stewart, that's why I'm doing this as the State and family support is not always there to help.
    My approach is back to basics; and with this in mind, I am developing some products which have lost their way over the years.
    All the best & keep blogging!
    Diana

    ReplyDelete